The Copper Mark is an assurance framework set up to promote the responsible production of copper along the value chain.
In a short survey in 2018, 89% of surveyed fabricators indicated that within 5 years, requirements related to responsible sourcing are believed to somewhat or significantly influence customers’ purchasing decisions.
The Copper Mark is committed to launch the Assurance Framework for use by all entities in the copper supply chain up to and including fabricators by 2023.
To ensure its standards and assurance framework can be implemented by fabricators, the Copper Mark conducts a pilot with interested fabricator sites in 2021 / 2022 to meet the following objectives:
- Ensure a smooth expansion of the Assurance Process to fabricator sites.
- Better understand current practices of fabricators and existing certification systems the Copper Mark can build on.
- Inform the development of training and guidance materials for fabricators .
The following companies have sites participating in Phase 1 of the pilot:
Number of Participating Sites
HALCOR, Copper Tubes Division of ELVALHALCOR S.A.
Mueller Industries, Inc.
SDI LAFARGA COPPERWORKS
For any questions, to sign up for the pilot or to receive more information, contact Hillary Amster, Director of Assurance and Impact: Hillary.firstname.lastname@example.org.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
Fabricator sites that participate will receive the following benefits:
- Ability to assess how the Copper Mark Standards apply to the fabricator's operation without either a formal or financial commitment
- Provide the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the Copper Mark Assurance Process
- Demonstrate leadership by receiving the Copper Mark prior to the formal launch for fabricators
- Help shape the future of the Copper Mark assurance framework to ensure relevancy for fabricators
- Engage closely with the Copper Mark on challenges and obstacles in a solution-oriented manner
PILOT ACTIVITIES AND TIMELINE
There are two phases for which the Copper Mark proposes to engage fabricators.
Phase 1: Self-Assessment only. This phase will run from October 2021 to March 2022 and is free of charge. Interested fabricators should contact the Copper Mark by 30th September 2021.
Phase 2: Assurance Process. This phase will run from April 2022 to December 2022. Costs include the Supply Chain Actor annual fee of 7’000USD per site as well as the costs for the independent third-party assessment. Interested fabricators should contact the Copper Mark by 31st March 2022.
|Activity||Phase 1||Phase 2|
|Assurance Process Step 1: Letter of Commitment||No||Yes|
|Assurance Process Step 2: Self-Assessment||Yes||Yes|
|Assurance Process Step 3: Independent Assessment||No||Yes|
|Assurance Process Step 4: Improvement Plans||No||Yes|
|Assurance Process Step 5: Re-assessment||No||Yes|
|Cost||Free||$7’000 USD + assessment costs*|
|Estimated time to prepare||1-2 days||Varies depending on results of self-assessment|
|Estimated time on site||None||2-4 days|
|Eligibility to receive the Copper Mark upon a successful assessment||No||Yes|
*details on the Copper Mark’s fee schedule can be found here.
Contact us at email@example.com.